Picture: Summerland Canine House owners Affiliation
Since 2012, Summerland Canine House owners Affiliation has been requesting a secure, accessible, totally fenced canine park from Summerland Mayor and Council. But after 9 years of limitless consultations, open homes, conferences, and surveys it was devastating to canine house owners when Mayor Toni Boot and council just lately rejected probably the most appropriate proposed location thus far (from choices that they themselves selected for consideration). Now council has chosen to think about two last-minute places which might be clearly flawed with one website being extraordinarily harmful Fosbery Freeway Easement proper beside Freeway 97.
Greater than 500 residents signed a petition and submitted letters through the years asking for an appropriate secure park. After an estimated $200,000 spent over 9 years in wasted workers time, the Council’s newest transfer terminated one of the best location and proposed the beforehand two talked about places. With canine house owners making up an estimated 41% of all households, they’re one of many largest and most numerous demographic teams in the neighborhood. This group is far bigger than another person group. It contains youngsters, adults, and seniors, and represents all ethnic, social, and financial teams for which park amenities are created.
Summerland Mayor Boot and council want a reminder of how pet possession contributes to the native financial system and creates extra jobs than another recreation membership on this neighborhood.
If it weren’t for our native canine we’d not have:
· pet shops
· canine groomers
· canine walkers
· boarding kennels
· canine trainers
· The annual ‘All Breed Canine Present’ at Dale Meadows which attracts folks from throughout BC, Canada, and the US to Summerland, offering financial assist to native motels, eating places, and retailers.
· Vacationers who’re touring with their canine and keep at locations the place there are canine facilities accessible and pet pleasant motels obtainable.
Even in our native grocery retailer, there’s a massive space of prime retail area devoted to pet food merchandise.
Particularly throughout this unprecedented COVID 19 pandemic canine possession has change into a lot extra vital for our neighborhood members. Canine house owners deal with their pets as members of the family, and particularly over this final yr of isolation as a result of Covid-19, canine have introduced consolation and assist to many extra folks than earlier than. Canines clearly have a useful impact on childhood and grownup stress and nervousness as effectively.
A canine park of at least one acre in dimension offers a secure and accessible place to increase these superb well being advantages. Having the ability to get pleasure from recent air open air whereas offering a much-needed social reference to different residents who’ve a standard curiosity is a superb treatment for social nervousness and isolation. All these advantages can be found from youngsters to seniors, together with households and people who dwell alone, and for residents of all ranges of potential and mobility.
With all these advantages canine deliver us, it’s simple to see why we want canine parks!
· They supply a secure, safe space for canine to be off leash in compliance with native laws.
· It encourages a big and numerous demographic of residents to have the ability to use and revel in park facilities simply as different person group wants are accommodated.
· There’s a secure, safe area for coaching (formal and self-directed)
· It accommodates the wants of vacationers, each visiting and touring by means of to soundly train their pets in a brand new setting.
· Aged and low mobility residents are offered an accessible place to train their companions and socialize with their fellow neighborhood members.
· The result’s that under-utilized seasonal park area is revitalized right into a regularly used year-round facility, decreasing native crime, vandalism and bullying.
Practically each different neighborhood within the Okanagan since at the least 2012 has not solely carried out a canine park, however many have expanded to supply a number of massive off-leash, year-round canine parks! Think about the superb efforts taken by the town councils of Lake Nation and Coldstream to supply areas for his or her resident’s wants! We want that Mayor Boot and council would present related management and never discriminate and check out making Summerland an inclusive neighborhood for its dog-owning residents as effectively.
Summerland Canine House owners Affiliation